Sunday, January 27, 2008

Most Significant Nietzsche Articles in 2007?

So, as I noted on my philosophy blog, The Philosopher's Annual is coming back to life, and now I've been asked to serve as a Nominating Editor. I would be curious to hear from readers whether there were any Nietzsche articles that appeared in 2007 that they thought were really first-rate? I think there are some that might be in contention, but I may also have missed good pieces. Since I'd also like to make sure that excellent articles in post-Kantian Continental philosophy more generally are represented, please feel free to post recommendations there as well. All comments on this thread must be signed. Thanks.

6 comments:

Rob said...

I wonder if you (and co-editor Sinhababu) haven’t pretty much monopolized the field of eligibility with NIETZSCHE AND MORALITY – particularly the essays by Thomas Hurka, R. Jay Wallace, and Christopher Janaway (whose recent book should easily rank among the best monographs on Nietzsche in 2007)... The rigor of Patrick Farber’s critique of Richardson in “Nietzsche was no Darwinian” [Philosophy and Phenomenological Research 75 (2), 369–382] might also merit its candidacy among the better articles of 2007 on Nietzsche.

Brian Leiter said...

I have been meaning to read the Farber essay, so I appreciate the reminder. I am slightly hesitant to nominate essays from the book I edited, partly because I am the editor and partly because it is hard to choose. The Wallace essay is elegant and intelligent, though it becomes unhinged from the texts in certainly ways. Hurka's essay seems an appealing choice because of its interst for philosophers beyond those working in Nietzsche studies. Hussain's essay is similar in that regard.

Rob said...

As an aside, Reginster's brief but cogent review of Richardson's book is in PPR 75(1), p227-230.

Anderson said...

As I've learned from trying to google up the Farber essay, Prof. Farber appears to spell his name "Forber." Thought that might be helpful, tho alas, his paper's no longer up at Stanford and isn't available at his above-linked website, either.

Rob said...

Adding to the mix of contenders, it's certainly worth mentioning Mathias Risse's perhaps otherwise overlooked "Nietzsche on Selfishness, Justice, and the Duties of the Higher Men" which appears in the collection MORALITY AND SELF-INTEREST (Oxford, 2007; ISBN: 9780195305845).

Rob said...

Reginster's “Nietzsche's ‘New Happiness:' On Longing, Boredom, and the Elusiveness of Fulfillment” in Philosophic Exchange, No. 37 (2007), pp. 17-40.